The Laboratory Medicine services at CUH are committed to providing the highest quality diagnostic and consultative services for all its users.
Cork University Hospital Laboratory Medicine is accredited by the Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB) to undertake testing as detailed in the scope of tests listed on the INAB website: Biochemistry, Haematology, Microbiology: Registration Number 333MT and Blood Transfusion: Registration Number 199MT in compliance with International Standard ISO 15189 and the EU Blood Directive 2002/98/EC.
Goals and Objectives
- To provide analytical and consultative information - to assist in the diagnosis of clinical problems and the monitoring of disease progression and treatment.
- To monitor the quality of service by maintaining standards set by national and international peer group organisations.
- To participate in continuous quality improvement.
- To assess and improve service to clinicians and patients, and to educate clinicians in the appropriate utilisation of laboratory procedures.
- To participate in the training and education of laboratory personnel, medical residents and other health care professionals as required.
- To perform appropriate developmental and research projects consistent with the expertise of the department.
- To ensure that the working environment and laboratory equipment is constantly monitored to ensure the safety of the employees and visitors.