Reconfiguration of Services Cork & Kerry
The Reconfiguration roadmap was published on the 22nd November 2011. It outlines a plan of how, why and where we deliver our acute hospital services. The roadmap provides for the first time in this region, a plan that has been agreed between all six acute hospitals on how services should be re-organised in order to ensure the best possible healthcare system for people in Cork and Kerry.
Cork University Hospital (CUH) will be the main regional tertiary centre for Cork and Kerry. It will continue to be the major teaching hospital of University College Cork. Some services currently provided at CUH will be moved to alternative city hospitals in order to allow CUH to become an efficient tertiary specialist hospital supported by appropriate critical care. CUH will house the regional laboratory and all histopathology services (excluding Kerry General Hospital) will be concentrated in CUH. Paediatric services will be concentrated at what will ultimately become a regional Paediatric hospital with an interim capital project build programme due to commence in the 3rd Quarter 2013. All cancer work will be concentrated at CUH.
CUH will provide 24 hour Emergency Department, 24 hours Acute Medical Unit, 24 hour emergency surgery, critical care and the following specialist services: Canner; Cardiac; Renal; Maternity; Neuroscience; and Paediatric services. It will provide 24/7 care for medical and surgical emergency patients.
Services relocated from CUH
- Pain service – transfer to SIVUH completed
- Elective plastic surgery – transfer to SIVUH completed.
- Elective general surgery – transfer from MGH complete.
- Elective non-complex gynecological surgery – transfer to SIVUH completed
- Consolidation of all acute surgery in CUH being progressed
- Progressing the centralisation of cancer surgery in CUH with the transfer of Prostate, upper GI and rectal from Mercy University Hospital (MUH), rectal cancer from Kerry General Hospital and ENT cancer surgery from SIVUH
- Planning has commenced for the transfer of the Ophthalmic service to SIVUH
Phase 1 – Surgery transfer – completed
Phase 2 – OPD transfer – project planning commenced in January 2015(24 month
- Planning has commenced for the amalgamation of the paediatric service – transfer from MUH to CUH
- Planning progressing for the reorganisation of Pathology services