Autism Friendly Hospital Working Group24 August 2018
Cork University Hospital has commenced the process to become an Autism Friendly Hospital.
CUH is working with AsIAm to seek accreditation to become an Autism Friendly Hospital.
Accreditation will be awarded on the following principles
- Sensory Environment
- Judgements & Attitudes
The Autism Friendly Hospital Working Group meet on a monthly basis to progress the on-going initiatives, including the following:
- Training will be offered to all staff with a plan for 80% of staff to be trained. This will give staff greater understanding and awareness.
- A pre training staff survey has been completed and the data is currently being validated. Another staff survey will be held post training.
- Focus Groups are being convened to receive direct feedback and knowledge.
- A sensory audit of the hospital will be completed.
- "Quiet Spaces" for patients and their families have been set up.
- The hospital is therapy dog friendly.
- Social stories are being collated and will be available shortly to help service users prepare before they attend the hospital.