We are a regional unit consisting of both physiotherapists and occupational therapists who work together to manage patients with a variety of hand and Plastic Surgery trauma injuries. We aim to help patients through the rehabilitation process and return to optimum function.
The role of the physiotherapist:
Hand therapy involves
- Education on surgical procedures, time scales, precautions and answering patients’ questions
- Exercises to preserve function of joints
- Scar and Oedema management
- Functional evaluation of the hand
- treatment of patients with burns, skin grafts and a wide range of Plastics Surgery trauma interventions
Access to the service:
- We accept referrals from the specialist hand/Plastics consultants, usually following trauma.
- Once the patient’s acute protective phase of rehabilitation has been completed we may refer to local therapy departments if indicated.