Freedome of Information

How Can I Access My Medical Records?

Patients can obtain patient medical records by the following methods:

  • Administrative Access - Data Protection Act
  • Freedom of Information Act

Patients can request their own personal health records by making a written request which includes the following information:

  • Surname
  • Date of birth
  • Phone number
  • Current address
  • Previous address if applicable
  • Details of the exact records requested
  • Reason for the request
  • Proof of Identification by means of birth certificate, passport OR driving licence must be included with the request.

We encourage requesters to contact the Department to ensure that the correct information is given and to narrow the field of enquiry.


Access to Deceased Patient Records

Deceased patients Medical Records are always processed under the Freedom Of Information Act. The following text must be noted on your application, “I am making this request under the Freedom of Information Act”

If you wish to discuss your application for deceased patient records, please contact the department directly on 021/4920116.     


Contact Details

Cork University Hospital

FOI Department Postal Address:  Medical Records Department, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork

Telephone:  +353 (0)21 4920116

Opening Hours:  8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday

Cork University Maternity Hospital

FOI Department Postal Address:  FOI Office, CUMH, Wilton, Cork

Telephone:  +353 (0)21-4920572 

Opening Hours:  8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday

Freedom of information – Publications Scheme

Section 8 of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2014 requires Cork University Hospital to prepare and publish as much information as possible in an open and accessible manner on a routine basis outside of FOI, having regard to the principles of openness, transparency and  accountability. The scheme commits us to making information available as
part of our normal business activities.

CUH implements the FOI Publication Scheme on the CUH website

If the information you require is not currently made publicly available on the CUH
website, you may wish to consider making a Freedom of Information Request.